And why most big brands are going all-in on this technologyCOVID-19 drove people indoors and online, exploding traffic and digital revenue. As a result, pending digital investments quickly became “MUST HAVES” and the ROI for digital investment multiplied almost overnight. PWA is the new technology of choice for the modern web. Pros: The high level benefits of PWA (talking points):
- Technology of choice for the modern web
- Future-proofing against deprecation of existing frontend
- Increased load speed
- Better user experience (designed to be mobile-first)
- Existing integrations can be maintained (Adobe)
- Aligned to Adobe’s headless vision
Cons: (things to keep in mind):
- Up-front cost
- Higher focus on custom development
- Little extension support
- If you are on Magento, not every Magento core feature is currently supported. But PWA is a major strategic priority for Adobe and investment + support are on their roadmap.
- Application is loaded once on to device
- Page requests retrieve only crucial data
- Lightweight, optimized API calls
- Returned data is cached in the browser and rendered to user
- Subsequent page loads retrieve cached data
2. Increase Sales on Mobile.
- Complete reenvisioning of the Magento frontend
- Lead by the Adobe UX team through research backed UX
- Modern interactivity
- Optimised cart and checkout flows
- Selections remembered instantly between screens
- Asynchronous actions provide immediate feedback on interaction
3. Possibility to have an app.
- PWAs can be installed like regular mobile apps
- Access to mobile features that regular websites can’t offer
- Deployable to app stores
- One code base, multiple platforms
- Lowers development and maintenance costs
- Support for Push notifications
Our guide on PWA features brands who are leading the way and a PWA Compatibility Checklist.