Here’s what we’ve learned from nearly 20 Magento 2 rescues/takeovers
“Did we choose the wrong platform?!?”
Replatforming to Magento 2 is an exciting project, full of options. You might be switching because M1 will no longer be supported after June 2020 or simply to benefit from M2’s rich feature-set and scalability. However the switch comes with its own technical challenges, which if left unresolved, can turn a merchant’s eCommerce project into a nightmare.
As a Magento Enterprise Partner with a proven track record, we are increasingly called upon to “rescue” Magento 2 projects gone awry.
Common issues that grind Magento 2 projects to a costly halt:
Out of date platforms:
Magento releases security updates several times a year. If the platform isn’t updated, the website’s protection can quickly fall behind. Reversing the damage gets complicated, especially if your clients’ data has been compromised.
Performance issues (loading speed, site performance and product content):
The Magento architecture is often being used inefficiently, for example:
- Using multiple websites when not necessary, which results in a slow indexing process
- Using too many attributes in a single attribute set instead of using multiple attribute sets
- Import process for products not using native functionality
The integrations between multiple systems are often not optimized. You are therefore doing unnecessarily doing repetitive, manual work. This inefficiency delays launch, slows down go-to-market capacity and increases the chances of mistakes, errors and inconsistencies.
Altered core code functionalities or core database tables:
This results in performance issues and/or maintainability and/or broken functionalities.
Unused Magento modules still activated:
It is important to deactivate unused modules to increase performance. This one is similar to cell phone CPU and battery management; performance becomes sluggish when too many things are running – though your development team must be certain of which ones to deactivate.
Poor frontend performance:
Not only does this slow down navigation – which reduces conversions – it also makes your site look and feel a bit… “amateurish” for your customers. Common causes?
- No image optimization
- No js/css merge and minification
- No lazy load of images
- Payment is not being tokenized (if you don’t use tokenization, an eventual breach could compromise your customers’ information)
- Admin URL is too predictable and not secured by IP-whitelisting; making your your site/platform low-hanging fruit for hackers.
Product data import process is often not fully automated:
This creates slower performance. Product content is at the heart of eCommerce, and speed has a big influence on conversions.
Finally, multiple errors in the logs.
To effectively deploy and maintain a working Magento 2 site, you need the right experts who follow best practices.
The Absolunet approach to rescuing a Magento 2 project or site:
1. We conduct a thorough audit process that covers multiple aspects : architecture, extensions, security, infrastructure, front-end performance, and more. The audit takes 3 to 5 weeks to complete.
2. With the information gathered from the audit, we let you know what urgently needs to be addressed and fixed, and what should be done in the medium and long term. All of this comes with a scope and timeline.
3. We then officially onboard the site, attack the priorities in the first couple of sprints, and officially take ownership of the production environment when ready.
4. Most of the time, companies are coming at us not only to fix the issues (including emergencies and roadblocks), but also to execute a growth plan. Thus, once we take ownership of their production environment, we incrementally deliver new features and site improvements focused on priorities and value creation.
Why merchants, brands and distributors trust Absolunet for their rescue projects
Our certified and experienced Magento developers follow best practices and stay up-to-date in terms of code quality and better maintainability. A quick fix only covers up the problem and creates future issues. We prefer the “build a scalable, maintainable and manageable Magento 2” approach.
Every one of our Magento development teams is transparent and committed. We focus on delivering results and have a track record of doing so on time – which has led to us receiving several awards from our technology and platform partners.
Focus on security.
We value your reputation as a brand and merchant. We are committed to security through:
- Up-to-date Magento platform
- Secured admin panel
- Cloudflare/Fastly as a Web Application Firewall (WAF)
- Content Security Policy (CSP) management
- Secured tokenized payment methods
360˚ eCommerce Services.
Along with code quality, we offer eCommerce strategies to increase sales, including email automation, growth marketing, advisory services, personnalisation, BI, advanced merchandising, and more.
We partner with the best solutions in the Magento ecosystem:
- Signifyd for fraud protection
- Shipstation or ShipperHQ for order management
- dotMailer for email marketing and automation
- Dynamic Yield for personalization
- And many more
The problem is probably not Magento 2
Let’s be clear: Magento 2 is an extremely powerful eCommerce platform. With a wide range of retail, D2C and B2B features and functionalities, Magento 2 is the best choice for many eCommerce and digital projects.
Have you lost control of your Magento 2 project? Contact our sales team directly:
B2B: Jason Hughes, Vice President of U.S. Sales and Operations
TOLL-FREE: 1 877 979 2276 x 3391
B2C and D2C: Marc-André Huras, Director of Sales, North America, Retail + B2C
TOLL-FREE: 1 877 979 2276 x 2557